"Taking Gilberto's side on this, how do we explain that there is a need for a new revelation if Islam (given than the writings in the Hadith and Qur'an are accurate) is already here, and as Gilberto has shown us, there are many teaching already in Islam that we Baha'is claim to be unique to ourselves?"

John,

To me one of the key issues is not whether specific teachings are already in the Qur'an (and I believe that, while they may be there & in the Bible, they are explained more clearly and fully by Baha'u'llah in the context of this Day).  Instead the issue is the guidance Baha'u'llah has given us to put these teachings into effect.  Prior to Baha'u'llah the major religions have different & disputed claims of leadership immediately following the death of the Manifestation.  I note that there were disputed claims even in the Baha'i Faith; however, unlike the previous Manifestations, Baha'u'llah & Abdu'l-Baha left written instructions for the formation of the institutions of the Faith that Shoghi Effendi later put into practice.  One of the last things Shoghi Effendi accomplished was the implementation of the Ten Year Plan, which brought the Baha'i world to a point where the election of the Universal House of Justice could happen.

Now, we have the House of Justice, a group of individuals, who, by the nature of their election are not ones who sought the office, but instead are elected, without seeking the office, based on their commitment of service to the community.   This distinguishes the Faith from past religions where there are multiple claims of authority, and different individuals can impose their different interpretations (and in most case self-serving interpretations meant to enrich the interpreter's pockets or ego) of scripture on various populations.

If for no other reason, I see this as a need for the new revelation.

Patti