On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:28:39 -0900, Sandra Chamberlain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear Gliberto, I wrote: <> I would agree that the spiritual
> attributes of which humans are capable are eternally
> "appropriate".   However,  the material (scientific)
> capabilities of humanity have advanced to such a degree (and,
> continue to do so) that it has become necessary to find
> solutions that will insure the continued survival of humanity,
> as inhabitants of one planet. <>

> You responded: <> I would just think that the material aspect
> of the Law can be dealt with without converting to a different
> religoin. At least in terms of islamic law, you have living
> scholars who can arrive at rulings by understanding the
> principles of the Quran and sunnah and understanding the
> realities of contemporary life. I'm not sure if you have any
> particular changes in technology or social organization in
> mind which you think Islam would have trouble keeping up with.

> Forgive me for responding with questions, however, I'm not
> familiar enough with the judicial structure of Islam, or it's
> authority, to make a comparison.  Does the Quranic
> scripture grant such prerogatives to scholars?

Yes, sort of. I say sort of because I don't think it is a matter of
authority or prerogative given to specific individuals (at least not
in sunni Islam). The Quran says if you don't know something, ask those
who know. (i.e. scholars). So in practice, when you have a question,
you seek out someone who by consensus is a knowledgable trained
scholar whom you trust. To arrive at rulings there are certain
traditional methodologies (especially those established by the 4
schools) which can get applied to contemporary situations.

There are places online where you can look at the rulings of
contemporary scholars who apply a traditional approach to current
situations.

One would be www.sunnipath.com

here are traditional methodologies which have been studid

But in terms of material changes, I think that if scientific knowledge
or social situations actually change substantially, there are ways for
scholars to take some of that into account when answering questions
and arriving at rulings. For example, once the health risk of smoking
became known, it would be possible for scholars to say that smoking is
prohibited (or at least strongly discouraged) on the grounds that it
would be "letting your own hands be the cause of your own destruction"
(something prohibited in the Quran).

And in terms of the various factors which scholars look to when
arriving at rulings, the Quran, the sunnah, analogy, etc. one of the
principles which is used in some cases is pre-existing customs of the
community.

What I would want to get across is that although there are certain
aspects of  Islam which might seem rigid and invariable, there is also
a certain amount of room for living scholars to respond to the
particularities of a given situation.