Sandra,

Taking Gilberto's side on this, how do we explain that there is a need for a new revelation if Islam (given than the writings in the Hadith and Qur'an are accurate) is already here, and as Gilberto has shown us, there are many teaching already in Islam that we Baha'is claim to be unique to ourselves?  My explanation in my own mind is that there is a spiritual reality that connects only through the most recent revelation in some mysterious way... but what is the outward _expression_ of this? (We are told that every spiritual reality is mirrored in the physical world).

Sandra Chamberlain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gilberto: <> I think that if God is really speaking and a
religion is worth its salt, it doesn't need to be replaced by
another in order to progress. If the revelation is really
inspired, then morally sensitive people from the particular
religious tradiition can still go back to the revelation and
apply the truth in ways which are appropriate for our times.
<>

from`Abdu'l-Bahá:

" . the Law of God is divided into two parts. One is the
fundamental basis which comprises all spiritual things -- that
is to say, it refers to the spiritual virtues and divine
qualities; this does not change nor alter: it is the Holy of
Holies, which is the essence of the Law of Adam, Noah,
Abraham, Moses, Christ, Muhammad, the Báb, and Bahá'u'lláh,
and WHICH LASTS and is established in ALL THE PROPHETIC
CYCLES. It will NEVE! R BE ABROGATED, for it is spiritual and
not material truth; it is faith, knowledge, certitude,
justice, piety, righteousness, trustworthiness, love of God,
benevolence, purity, detachment, humility, meekness, patience
and constancy. It shows mercy to the poor, defends the
oppressed, gives to the wretched and uplifts the fallen.

These divine qualities, these eternal commandments, WILL NEVER
BE ABOLISHED; nay, they will last and remain established for
ever and ever. These virtues of humanity WILL BE RENEWED in
each of the different cycles; for at the end of every cycle
the spiritual Law of God -- that is to say, the human
virtues -- disappears, and only the form subsists. .

.These foundations of the Religion of God, which are spiritual
and which are the virtues of humanity, cannot be abrogated;
they are irremovable and eternal, and are renewed in the cycle
of every Prophet.

The second ! part of the Religion of God, which refers to the
material world, and which comprises fasting, prayer, forms of
worship, marriage and divorce, the abolition of slavery, legal
processes, transactions, indemnities for murder, violence,
theft and injuries -- this part of the Law of God, which
refers to material things, is MODIFIED AND ALTERED IN EACH
PROPHETIC CYCLE in accordance with the NECESSITIES of the
times." (Abdu'l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 46) (my
caps)

I would agree that the spiritual attributes of which humans
are capable are eternally "appropriate". However, the
material (scientific) capabilities of humanity have advanced
to such a degree (and, continue to do so) that it has become
necessary to find solutions that will insure the continued
survival of humanity, as inhabitants of one planet.

lovingly, Sandra