My reply: But Baha'is almost all the time assume that the Central
Figures were omniscient at will.

Dear Ron,

Again, the letter written on behalf of the Guardian applied that phrase
solely to Baha'u'llah. As far as what Baha'is do 'all the time' what's that
to you?

"Also, how can an Interpreter interpret
something said by Baha'u'llah, if Baha'u'llah was Omniscient and the
Interpreter isn't? Isn't that backwards?"

Because Baha'u'llah may be omniscient doesn't mean you have to be omniscient
to understand anything He said.

 "For instance, if Abdul Baha said something that can be construed to
deny the validity of evolution, then Baha'u'llah's statement that true
religion must agree with science, is made null and void."

What specific statement of Baha'u'llah's did you have in mind here? Most of
the statements regarding the agreement of science and religion which I am
familiar with come from Abdu'l-Baha's authorized interpretation of
Baha'u'llah's teachings. Throw out Abdu'l-Baha's interpretations and you
will probably have to throw out this principle as well. ;-}

 "We also
completely ignore and disregard Baha'u'llah's explicit distinction
between the Most Great Infallibility and other infallibility."

We do? I don't. Do you?

"My reply: I assume Abraham actually existed. Of course there is no
objective proof for this, but I take the Manifestations' Word for this"

You mean, Their omniscience?

 "Why strain at a gnat
and swallow a camel? This drives me crazy when you do it, often, Dr.
Maneck. You accept wildly improbable notions like "Omniscience at Will""

Apparently we have different ideas as to which are the gnats and which are
the camels. I accept that the Manifestation is 'omniscient at will' because
the Guardian indicated this was so.

"Isn't it infinitely more likely that He
did not *know* in advance, because He had no way of knowing until "God"
announced it to Him,"

Ron, I know nothing whatsoever about how a Manifestation receives
revelation. In this case, I just take Abdu'l-Baha's word for it as Brent has
quoted from Some Answered Questions.

"But I think you and many Baha'is do
away 1005 with the human nature of Baha'u'llah and make him only a
"God", capable of anything and everything except being human."

And I think it is rather presumptious of you to assume what I do what I say
I don't do.

"Now, if Terry
Culhane's and Mojan Momens' ideas of the Baha'i Faith leading a
re-spiritualization of the planet without eliminating and destroying
the older Faiths, were considered acceptable, then I could imagine a
re-born and spiritualized planet in 1000 years, just barely. But that
view is not in favor, is it?"

I don't think you've got Moojan's, Terry's or the administration's views
right, frankly. But what does it matter what any of us think? What do the
Writings and the authoritative interpretations have to say on the question?

  "Why can't we join-with good thinking and
intentioned Muslims (like Gliberto) and Christians and Jews and
Buddhist and Hindus and build a better world without strife over
theology?"

Did anyone say we couldn't?

"Tell me, Dr.
Maneck, let's say even in the years between 50 AD and 550 AD, before
the dawn of Islam and so still, well within the Dispensation of Christ,
if a person proclaimed that they understood the Resurrection and Second
Coming exactly as Baha'u'llah explained them in teh Iqan, woudl they
not have been considered heretical, even though they had only orthodox
beliefs otherwise?"

In 50 A.D I'm not sure it would have been a problem. As for 550 A.D., such a
person would have been presumed to be a docetist because that was the
context in which these ideas were promoted. In fact, that is the reason that
Christians began to insist on the physicality of the Resurrection.

 "Now my question is, after Baha'u'llah gave us the
Iqan, should we as Baha'is behave exactly like those early Christians
and consider Baha'is who take similar stands on theological questions,
to be heretics?"

Your question is only meaningful if you first establish two things.

1) That there is indeed a correspondence between the two views of these two
eras.

2) And that Baha'is are indeed 'acting like those early Christians" in
response to them.

 "or should we try to be just a little more open minded
about the possibilities than those early Christians?"

I think we are open to lots of possibilities, Ron. It strikes me that you
are fixated on a single one.

"Susan, if asking questions and seeking to understand the truth is to
"raise the standard of revolt, wax stubborn and open wide the door of
false interpretation [ijtihad]" than I 'll just have to take my chances"

No, it isn't. And I'm certainly not suggesting that you are doing this. But
there are others out there who are challenging the notion of infallibility
*precisely* in order to do this. One has to discern motivations.

"I guess. Dr. Maneck, my *whole point* is, adn has always been, that one
can believe in science , reason adn logic and still be a Baha'i in good
standing and be on Firm Ground with respect to the Covenant. I resent
your implications., but I am no longer surprised by them"

Ron, you are misunderstanding me completely. I'm not at *all* implying
anything about your relationship with the Covenant. What I *am* saying is
that there are a lot of people out there who would like to throw out the
notion of infallibility precisely *in order* to remake the Faith in their
own image, and if you don't recognize this you are being naive.

"Susan, I know you say you dont take prophecies literally, but
my point is that if you accpet Omniscience, then you must logically
also accpet that Manifestations (and by extension Central Figures *AND*
the Universal House of Justice can predict the future literally."

Ron, *whoever* said the Universal House of Justice was omniscient????
Omniscience and infallibility are two entirely different things.

"And
that tis precisely what many Baha'is on this list believe!"

You know you are going to cause a lot of resentment yourself on this list if
you keep telling other people what they believe.

 "And a
combination of inferred literal infallibility and authorized
interpretation status makes the Universal House of Justice able to
literally and infallibly interpret prophecies by Central Figures,"

And who said the Universal House of Justice makes authorized
interpretations????

"which
is exactly what most Baha'is seem ot believe (I think Brent is on
record here about that"

Brent, do you think the Universal House of Justice is omniscient and makes
infallible authorized interpretations?

"and indeed it seems to me that the Universal
House of Justice seems to take this view when offering their literal
interpretation of some of Abdul Baha's and Shogi Effendi's writings to
mean that the Lesser Peace e indeed started for sure by 2000."

Uh, one would have to be extremely *non-literal* to believe that! But you
better go back and read their letter. I don't think it says what you think
it said.

"My reply: I know what I think the Central Figures mean, and it is
prefect accord with our Writings, science and logic and reason; but I I keep
hearing form other Baha'is that my understandings are unacceptable"

Begging your pardon but more often I see you blasting in here telling us
that whatever you think it is *we* believe is unacceptable.

"I think you try to have it both ways. You try to uphold logic
and reason while failing to recognize some contradictory consequences
of a few irrational beliefs."

Or maybe I refuse to accept your interpretation of what is logical and
reasonable.

  ""Since every Manifestation acted consistently with natural law,"

Is this in the Writings somewhere, or just a presumption on your part?

My reply: Wow. This baffles me the most. I don't need to quote
scripture. Just look at Their lives, all of Them. They lived, they died
they breathed etc etc etc. They walked, they didn't teleport
themselves. Thye didn't go around violating natural laws. Name on
natural law Baha'u'llah violated."

There are miracles associated with Baha'u'llah. You chose not to accept
them. Whether or not these constituted "violations of natural law" I'm not
prepared to say. But I wouldn't make categorical statements about it either
way.
"My replY: Yes, a Natural one and a very mystical, symbolic one."

No, a *divine nature* not a mystical, symbolic one. It is just as real as
their human nature.

"My reply: I apologize for lumping a lot of things together. I am trying
to understand your beliefs, and thier implications."

Better to *ask* what they are than presume you know them and demand that I
defend your presuppositions.

warmest, Susan