" Turkish ceased being the official language of Palestine in 1917 when
General Allenby drove the last Turkish forces out of the region."

Dear Scott,

After 1924 Ottoman isn't even used in Turkey. Ataturk changed the script.

"It seems to me that he must have had some Turkish, though I am sure it was
limited. Abdu'l Baha used it to communicate with the Ottoman believers and
to deal with the officials of the Empire."

Yes, Abdu'l-Baha did. But given Shoghi Effendi's educational background, I'm
not sure he would have. The schools he went to actively discouraged it. Keep
in mind that Arab Nationalism was born at the Syrian Protestant College.

warmest, Susan