> Having said that, I wonder if people have some preference or even policy
> which mandates specific base image?

Yes.  We're using a certified ubi8-minimal image for the finalized
docker by mandate and a bit of preference.  Base image is 90M deployed
with BIND 9.18.29 is 258M (uncompressed).  In this case we use
Rockylinux as the builder and copy it over to ubi8 for the final
image.

To me this is less about the size and more about cleanliness.   Rather
than making sure everything is removed we just start fresh and only
install / copy what we need.

I don't think it's a significant effort to do what we are doing and
happy to contribute but just to note we have no objections to how ISC
is doing it and appreciate that these are being produced.  I use them
anytime my custom ones are not available.

Peter