On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 2:00 AM Wesley Luyten <luytenwes...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wesley from Mux here. I saw the issue come by.
>
> We'd be happy those API's could get deprecated and unified into the new
> one.
>
> Our Media Chrome (library, not browser) implementation handles this
> gracefully, some code here
>
> https://github.com/muxinc/media-chrome/blob/83c1a0f000bc8898971f030bcafa0d6df37cdc34/src/js/controller.js#L636-L636

Thanks for sharing! This code falls back to the
standard media.requestFullscreen() API if media.webkitEnterFullscreen isn't
available, so it won't break.

I suspect this order of feature detection could be common because the
video-specific prefixed fullscreen APIs are the very oldest, followed by
the generic prefixed APIs, and the standard APIs came around much, much
later.

The Vimeo player uses a variant of https://github.com/bdougherty/BigScreen,
> a similar popular library is https://github.com/sindresorhus/screenfull

BigScreen seems to use the standard API if both are present, and screenfull
doesn't deal with the video-specific prefixed APIs at all. So neither of
these ought to explain usage we're seeing via use counters.

> Just thought to mention it but iOS never supported the generic fullscreen
> API until very recent
> https://twitter.com/jensimmons/status/1717937227190460797
> It always required the webkit prefixed API on the video element (not any
> other element like a div etc )
> Y'all are aware of that?

Yeah, I was very happy to see that ship.