On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Olivier Blin wrote:

> > Wow.  I eat my words.
> > Test9.4mdk kicks ass.  All modules load (alsa, firewire, USB, video,
> > even joystick!!!)  This is very cool.
>
> thanks to svetljo, he told me how to fix it
>
> > Responsiveness is insane.  Like even my mouse cursor moves faster.  Is
> > that normal?
>
> yes :)
> it was quit normal in -test5, perhaps a bit faster, but it's really
> fast in -test9, when I tried -test5 again this evening, i found the
> mouse really slow :)
>
> > Since I'm a kernel moron... which of the following multimedia kernel
> > options will this obsolete?
>
> > - low latency
>
> No, IIRC, it doesn't exist anymore, this patch was made by Andrew Morton
> which is now the primary maintener, and Linus wanted to merge it in
> early 2.5 developpement.
>
> > - preempt-able
>
> same
>
> > - sched(0)
>
> Con Kolivas's scheduler has been merged in -test6
> ( http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/922 )
>
> > - libcap capabilities
>
> Do you mean the trick in include/linux/capability.h ?
> http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/contrib-SPECS/kernel-multimedia-2.4.22.9mm.1mdk/2.4.21-0.pre4.1mdk.cap_setpcap.patch?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
> It should you safe to enable it, why isn't it in Juan's package ?

It is not safe. Although opinions vary. I wouldn't enable it on a
multi-user machine, but kernel-mm is not meant for such use.

I think, but it is really Juan/Nicolas who should do it, that the names and functions
of 2.6 kernels need a rethinking. Something along the lines
of:

kernel-desktop  -> up, 4GB
                -> smp/686, 4 GB
                -> smp/athlon, 4 GB
I assume performance hit of 4 GB is not so bad.
I am also wondering how bad it would be to use an smp for up machines.
Anyone has benchmarks?

kernel-server   -> up, 4 GB
                -> smp/p3, 64 GB
                -> smp/athlon, 64 GB
Perhaps more? Security can be in kernel-server via LIDS so i think
kernel-secure via grsec is obsolete (aside from that, many security minded people will
not use 2.6 for at least I year yet).
kernel-desktop can have all the preempt stuff and other things (setpcap?)
you do not want to have on your server.

d.