> Wow.  I eat my words.
> Test9.4mdk kicks ass.  All modules load (alsa, firewire, USB, video,
> even joystick!!!)  This is very cool.

thanks to svetljo, he told me how to fix it

> Responsiveness is insane.  Like even my mouse cursor moves faster.  Is
> that normal?

yes :)
it was quit normal in -test5, perhaps a bit faster, but it's really
fast in -test9, when I tried -test5 again this evening, i found the
mouse really slow :)

> Since I'm a kernel moron... which of the following multimedia kernel
> options will this obsolete?

> - low latency

No, IIRC, it doesn't exist anymore, this patch was made by Andrew Morton
which is now the primary maintener, and Linus wanted to merge it in
early 2.5 developpement.

> - preempt-able

same

> - sched(0)

Con Kolivas's scheduler has been merged in -test6
( http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/922 )

> - libcap capabilities

Do you mean the trick in include/linux/capability.h ?
http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/contrib-SPECS/kernel-multimedia-2.4.22.9mm.1mdk/2.4.21-0.pre4.1mdk.cap_setpcap.patch?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
It should you safe to enable it, why isn't it in Juan's package ?

> I'm going to have to record a new song, just to test this thing out.

hehe, I've heard it, very good :)

> Thanks Olivier.

you're welcome, but this kernel doesn't require much work, almost all
good patches have been merged ;)

--
Olivier Blin