> Yeah, I've been playing with the cooker version a lot, but alsa seems
> sketchy.  It doesn't inert properly by default, and the mixer settings
> seem to be screwed up.  Some other modules don't insert by default any
> more.

I've fixed many things since -test5, alsa should load fine now.
Please can you tell me the name of the modules that don't insert ?
And please report others bugs I should be aware of :)

> But the latency seems to be very low, and desktop applications seem to
> be noticeably snappier.
>
> It would be nice to see a 2.6 kernel with:
> - flawless alsa and other module auto-loading

try -test9.4mdk and report again if it doesn't work

> - i686 build (I love my new P4; screw you overheating athlon!)

I'll try to provide this soon.

> - some sort of init output (my screen is black until X starts)

vga=normal in your bootloader entry should give you some output, it will
disable framebuffer.
vesa framebuffer doesn't work well in 2.6, that's why you get a black
output.

Thanks for your opinion about the package.

--
Olivier Blin