Considering the lack of responses to my questions about the history here,
I’m going to assume ASF has ignored past complaints similar to how they’ve
ignored my own. I feel like a lot of this discussion has centered around
the idea that the offensiveness of mascotry can be gauged with some kind of
OR gate, that if just one person or organization can be found that is ok
with it, then there is no problem, ignoring everyone else who may be
impacted by the stereotyping.

An example might be the tomahawk chop, it originated at FSU, which gets
special blessing from the Seminole Tribe of Florida (there is also the
Seminole Nation of Oklahoma) to use Native-themed imagery. I know a lot of
Natives myself included who feel the chop is racist regardless of any other
endorsements. The tomahawk chop has spread further to other teams like the
Braves and the Chiefs (teams without any kind of endorsement), and pops up
in other anti-Indigenous expressions at protests and political events.

In a similar fashion I don’t think it can be disputed that Apache webserver
inspired the very ugly appropriation and stereotyping in other web projects
like the Hiawatha webserver and the Tomahawk node.js project.

On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 2:59 AM Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:
> This is in stark contrast with many other companies and organisations
> which made a lot of internalisation and externalisation of their
> branding and names. As an example - I have been for a while working at
> Snowflake and there are lots and lots and lots of internalisation and
> externalisation of "snow and snowflake" down to the internal use of
> ”fresh snow" when people are hired or "it's snowing in Warsaw" public
> slogan when our company was acquired. The ASF does nothing of that
> whatsoever.

I would argue that ASF does exactly the same in its marketing. For example
the “Trillions and Trillions Served” commercial that’s on the front-page of
apache.org. You’d never know just from watching it that it was filmed at an
Apachecon Europe in Berlin as well as an Apachecon in Vegas. Much of it
appears to take place in a John Oliver-esque void, but the introduction is
very deliberate to use scenery of the desert southwest to set the tone of
the film. There’s no nice accompanying European scenery to show how this is
a global organization, instead there are only sweeping views of stolen
Native American land. It makes a deliberate statement of Americanness.

That’s the problem with using a name like this, what other creative well to
draw from does ASF even have for marketing? As innocent seeming or
respectful as the intents might be, at the end of the day it’s still going
to be redface.

In that same video you’ll see Brian describe “the last days of the Native
American tribe called the Apaches who succumbed to the invasion from the
west” as though these tribes and people no longer exist. From my
perspective as Indigenous person ASF doesn’t appear to have done even a
glancing effort at respecting or honoring the people that they claim to
represent.

The way I see it there are three outcomes people have discussed for how to
move forward, maybe these options could be the seed of a poll or vote?

1). Keep the name and Native-theme. (Status quo)
2). Keep the name but remove the Native-theme. (How?)
3). Remove the name and change the brand entirely.

Most of the arguments in this thread arguing for the status quo revolved
around the idea that ASF is honorably doing its mascotry and that ASF and
Indigenous values line up so completely there are no problems with
identifying as Apache. I obviously disagree with these sentiments, but many
might not.

I don’t believe 2) is even possible, it just seems like just further
can-kicking on 3), but 3) is considered hard and 2) may appear more
approachable but I don’t believe ASF can fully dissociate or erase any
Indigenous connections to the term. As I’ve said before the label for this
is called Indigenous erasure.

As I’m sure you’ve all guessed I’m firmly in camp three. Am I missing any
options here?