If the intention is to actually decouple and give a life of it's own to
these connectors, I would have expected that they would still be hosted as
different git repositories inside Apache even tough users will not really
see much difference as they would still be mirrored in GitHub. This makes
it much easier on the legal departments of the upstream consumers and
customers as well because the code still follow the so well received and
trusted Apache Governance and Apache Release Policies. As for
implementation details, we can have multiple repositories if we see a lot
of fragmented releases, or a single "connectors" repository which in our
side would make administration more easily.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 2:33 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <van...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi Reynold, thanks for the info.
>
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Reynold Xin <r...@databricks.com> wrote:
> > If one really feels strongly that we should go through all the overhead
> > setup an ASF subproject for these modules that won't work with the new
> > structured streaming, and want to spearhead to setup separate repos
> > (preferably one subproject per connector), CI, separate JIRA, governance,
> > READMEs, voting, we can discuss that. Until then, I'd keep the github
> option
> > open because IMHO it is what works the best for end users (including
> > discoverability, issue tracking, release publishing, ...).

Agree that there might be a little overhead, but there are ways to minimize
this, and I am sure there are volunteers willing to help in favor of having
a more unifying project. Breaking things into multiple projects, and having
to manage the matrix of supported versions will be hell worst overhead.

> For those of us who are not exactly familiar with the inner workings
> of administrating ASF projects, would you mind explaining in more
> detail what this overhead is?
>
> From my naive point of view, when I say "sub project" I assume that
> it's a simple as having a separate git repo for it, tied to the same
> parent project. Everything else - JIRA, committers, bylaws, etc -
> remains the same. And since the project we're talking about are very
> small, CI should be very simple (Travis?) and, assuming sporadic
> releases, things overall should not be that expensive to maintain.

Subprojects or even if we send this back to incubator as "connectors
project" is better then public github per package in my opinion.

Now, if with this move is signalizing to customers that the Streaming API
as in 1.x is going away in favor the new structure streaming APIs , then I
guess this is a complete different discussion.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende