Code can be removed from an ASF project.
That code can live on elsewhere (in accordance with the license)

It can't be presented as part of the official ASF project, like any
other 3rd party project
The package name certainly must change from org.apache.spark

I don't know of a protocol, but common sense dictates a good-faith
effort to offer equivalent access to the code (e.g. interested
committers should probably be repo owners too.)

This differs from "any other code deletion" in that there's an intent
to keep working on the code but outside the project.
More discussion -- like this one -- would have been useful beforehand
but nothing's undoable

Backwards-compatibility is not a good reason for things, because we're
talking about Spark 2.x, and we're already talking about distributing
the code differently.

Is the reason for this change decoupling releases? or changing governance?
Seems like the former, but we don't actually need the latter to achieve that.
There's an argument for a new repo, but this is not an argument for
moving X out of the project per se

I'm sure doing this in the ASF is more overhead, but if changing
governance is a non-goal, there's no choice.
Convenience can't trump that.

Kafka integration is clearly more important than the others.
It seems to need to stay within the project.
However this still leaves a packaging problem to solve, that might
need a new repo. This is orthgonal.

Here's what I think:

1. Leave the moved modules outside the project entirely
  (why not Kinesis though? that one was not made clear)
2. Change package names and make sure it's clearly presented as external
3. Add any committers that want to be repo owners as owners
4. Keep Kafka within the project
5. Add some subproject within the current project as needed to
accomplish distribution goals