Is there any way to remove artifacts from Maven Central? Maybe that would
help clean these things up long-term, though it would create problems for
users who for some reason decide to rely on these previews.

In any case, if people are *really* concerned about this, we should just
put it there. My thought was that it's better for users to do something
special to link to this release (e.g. add a reference to the staging repo)
so that they are more likely to know that it's a special, unstable thing.
Same thing they do to use snapshots.

Matei