On 5/13/06, Wendy Smoak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5/13/06, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/13/06, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I would prefer that we resolve the DTD issue before marking a
> > distribution "ready for primetime".

> I agree ... and vote for beta as well.
>
> But we should spend some more time testing to see if there are any other
> lurking ghosts before we send Wendy off on yet another cycle through the
> release plan process.

I see two choices.  Make the two-line change to XmlParser and roll
1.3.5 immediately with *only* that change, or wait a while and see if
anything else comes up.

Personally, I don't see that rushing it out before JavaOne is _that_
important. It sure would have been nice to be able to announce it there, but
it's not the end of the world if we end up going GA a week later. Meaning,
my preference would be for the latter option.

I'm trying to find the motivation for Plan A.  Because if we do that,
and no one objects to calling the vote immediately... we could count
the vote in time for Don's talk on Wednesday.

Plan B assumes that people are going to continue to test 1.3.4, and I
don't know how likely that really is.

Well, it also allows some of us who've been out of the loop for a few days
to take a closer look at 1.3.4 and make sure there's nothing else missing,
as well as get it into our apps and take it for a spin.

Right now I just feel like I'm going to make someone unhappy, no
matter what I do.  Or don't do, as the case may be.

I don't see how you could make any of us unhappy, Wendy, given how much work
you've been putting into this! The current situation isn't your fault, by
any stretch of the imagination. It's our collective fault for not having
been sufficiently dilligent in testing the builds you've been producing.
Ultimately, it's the community's responsibility to ensure that what we have
is top quality, not the RM's.

--
Martin Cooper

--