Dne 22. 10. 20 v 18:33 Aleksandra Fedorova napsal(a):
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 3:05 PM Miro Hrončok <mhron...@redhat.com> wrote:
On 10/22/20 2:51 PM, Aleksandra Fedorova wrote:
Hi, Vit.
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 2:37 PM Vít Ondruch<vondr...@redhat.com>  wrote:
I was asking for ELN branch for ages and it was always denied and there
you have it [1]. So what is the current stance on this topic?
You were asking for a branch to overcome the issue with building a
package in ELN.

To reiterate, I was asking branch to cut of some dependency chains, to stop ELN rebuilding (and failing rebuilding) Ruby on Rails, which won't go into RHEL. I was asking branch to keep Fedora free to innovate.

When I was asking branch, I was also suggesting to do "git rebase" from Fedora and I was willing to fix the conflict in case there are some.

  And we have a suggestion for the alternative solution
which wouldn't require maintaining a separate eln branch forever.

But that is not acceptable. I am not provided any options, only the right choices.

For gcc we are using a temporary branch for the development of a new
feature in Fedora.
I would have named it "gcc11" branch rather than "eln", but it is a
bikeshedding exercise.
This is not about naming / bikeshedding. Whatever you call it, this is a "branch
used exclusively to build in ELN". Vít wanted this, I wanted this and many other
Fedora/RHEL packagers wanted this. Yet you argued so passionately against it.
For example you said:

I think that not having eln-branch is very important part of the
concept as we don't want to fork Fedora.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/WRJNM7I5TFQ5TEBOUKKH757K5ME3I47F/

But there were countless other arguments against having such branches. Have the
situation changed? Can other packages have eln branches as well?
No, the situation has not changed.

I'll reiterate:

We don't want to fork packages from the Fedora Rawhide. We don't want
to provide eln-branch as an option to overcome build failures in ELN.
ELN's purpose is to provide motivation and tooling for downstream
developers to work on Fedora, not to share parts of Fedora
infrastructure for downstream developers to do their downstream work.

I might be exception, as a downstream developer, I am highly motivated to work on Fedora and I am dedicated to make Fedora successful. But at the same time, I am denied to be provided with the tools which I need to make the job done. Surprisingly, others are free to use the same tools I am asking.

Anyway, I'll deal with it in CentOS streams or wherever else it will be necessary.

Vít

We expect downstream to have its own infrastructure and process for
branched packages. And we do have it in RHEL. If you want to discuss
how exactly RHEL downstream does it, I can provide more information.
But I consider it to be offtopic in this mailing list, or at least in
this thread.

At the same time, we would like to use ELN as an experimental
playground for features, when it makes sense, when it is helpful for
Fedora and when these additional features don't contradict the primary
purpose of the ELN buildroot.

We consider the update to GCC11 to be one of such features. It is not
a fork of the Rawhide into a downstream branch, it is a future Fedora
feature.

It is also not the only one, which we can handle through ELN. We were
considering the update of the baseline of the x86 cpu's to be such a
feature, but then it was discarded. The other example would be the
Default Module Streams setup.

If you would like to propose another Fedora feature, and you would
like to work together with the ELN SIG on it - please file a ticket in
the ELN tracker [1].
We are open to the ideas, and we may consider options, including
branching, to make it work.

[1] https://github.com/fedora-eln/eln/issues

--
Miro Hrončok