John,

At this time there is no strict limit on digital mode width except:

"97.307 Emission standards.
(f)(2)No non-phone emission shall exceed the bandwidth of a
communications quality phone emission of the same modulation type."

This refers primarily to the HF bands.

Since the exact bandwidth of HF phone is not specified in the rules,
this is not a hard and fast number either. Pactor 3 is completely legal
in the U.S. at this time and will continue to be legal unless there is a
major change in the rules.

What is it that will affect wide bandwidth automatic stations after the
first of the year?