John Becker, WØJAB wrote:

>  Points taken. What about the times I and other have been up around
>  075 to 077 with KB to KB on one of the Pactor modes and without
>  seeing any text someone starts calling CQ with one of the sound card
>  modes?

There is a difference.

1.  In the last 5 years of operating I have not heard one single Pactor
K-to-K QSO, so what you are describing is extremely rare.  I know that
it is; that is why I just gave away my SCS PTC-II modem.  No one to talk
to with it.  Except for a very few, Pactor is not a QSO mode.  It is
less common on the digital modes as a QSO mode  than old A.M. is on the
phone bands.

2.  What you are describing is not policy.  In other words, while the
Pactor people admit and are proud of the fact that they refuse to listen
before transmitting, other amateurs do not deliberately do this as
policy.  Oh, the occasional careless Op may do it by accident, but not
as policy.  The Pactor people have made a deliberate decision to
transmit without listening, other hams be darned.

There is simply no excuse for deliberately deciding, as a matter of
policy, not to listen before transmitting.  What if there is emergency
traffic on the frequency, for example.

Again, I hope this helps you, John.

de Roger W6VZV