ALE 400 is a subset of wideband ALE, so wouldn't we expect even fewer
participants? Even regular ALE has very little activity from what I and
others have been able to measure on actual on the air use.

Hams that use hardware embedded wideband ALE are not going to be using
ALE 400 without a separate computer. While I do not recommend anyone buy
such rigs due to the rapidly changing technology that can make such
modes obsolete, there are probably only a handful of hams who have these
kinds of rigs. But if hams stay on wideband ALE, then that reduces the
practical use of ALE 400.

Ironically, ALE 400 is very much better in performance than wideband ALE
since it can work deeper into the noise. It has a much more appropriate
footprint for use in the narrow text digital parts of the bands. The
slower speed may be mitigated by the fact that it can work when wideband
ALE does not get through at all.

I would propose that wide band ALE should only be used in the wide
bandwidth voice portions of the bands and ALE 400 be used in the
narrower text digital portions. The last thing we want to see happening
is someone operating on a 400 Hz wide mode and then switching suddenly
to a 2000 + Hz mode and causing severe interference to other stations.
My experience has been that 2000 Hz modes are difficult to place without
causing problems in the shared service of amateur radio.

I am not sure that there will be many of us operating ALE 400 (or wide
band ALE) anyway. I know that I would have no interest in tying up my
rig with scanning the bands since I can not be doing that and also
operating my normal HF activities. When I have used the narrow 8FSK50
mode, it has almost only been on FAE 400, the ARQ version of ALE 400.

Perhaps some of us envision using the FAE 400 mode to send error free
data to other stations on HF and do it with a relatively narrow
footprint available on a MS Windows computer using a soundcard. While
there is an ARQ mode available on PSK with Linux OS, it does not seem to
work very well when you compare it to the 8FSK50 waveform of FAE 400.

What might be practical though, is to have some spot frequencies that we
could use for ALE 400/FAE 400 calling and chatting? Since it is
relatively narrow, perhaps up 5 kHz from the normal PSK31 frequencies?
Since there seems to be a standard 1625 Hz center frequency, the
"frequency" is the same as the dial frequency.