Hi Steve,

I agree that it is a type of protectionism. I did not view it that way
as much until we really started seeing a lot of new modes and how poorly
they cooperated with each other. Especially with the main change over
the years which is ... inability to intercommunicate. The best we can do
is to try not to interfere with each other. The narrow modes do a far
better job of this because of a practical reason. They do not need as
much real estate to operate in what is often a VERY limited shared
resource. I noticed this time and again when I tried to pick out a place
to operate 2K MT-63 or wide Olivia. It is very hard to do without
stepping on someone else.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the digital and analog modes
really do not work well in the same area. SSB voice just tears up such a
large part of the band and you can not filter it out. This is the
historical reason that CW and RTTY were kept separate from voice modes.

Now that we have digital modes that may even sound somewhat the same,
(OFDM for example), but may carry totally different payloads, e.g.,
voice, text data, image data, etc. we have to be very careful how we
intermix them (the modes, not the content). They have no way of
intercommunication unless you do what used to be a mandatory requirement
of providing at least some kind of CW ID. So absent that idea, some kind
of segregation is needed.

There are some new technologies that may have some advantages, but
usually there is a tradeoff. Digital voice is not competitive with SSB
voice since it is technologically inferior on a shared resource like the
ham bands. Can it ever overcome these limits? Maybe some day, but very
unlikely. Just because something is older does not mean it is obsolete.

I used to think that we were maybe being held back by old rules that
were not necessary, but that kind of thinking can be shortsighted
because after serious discussion with other active hams who are also
technologically knowledgeable, we don't really have many limits.

For example, your agenda, promoting ALE and high speed modems on HF is
not being held back at all by the rules. As you know, I have submitted
questions to the FCC on this very subject and am waiting on a return
response. Your fellow promoter of ALE, Bonnie, KQ6XA, was livid that I
even dared ask these questions and yet the amateur community has a right
to know how the rules should be properly interpreted.

And a major one is whether we can operate certain kinds of modes on the
high speed portions of the HF bands, otherwise known as the voice/image
portions. Maybe they will stretch the rules to allow use of mixed image
and text, maybe they won't, but I want to know what we can and can not
do. I am convinced that the FCC will support the use of ALE modes,
including the very modes you mention below providing that that content
is  image/fax. I personally have sent many faxes over the years that
don't even have one picture in them and were all "text." Even if they
say we can not send a pdf, or a doc or an xls, we can still send jpg and
jp2 files as the WinDRM folks actively do ever day for real world
testing. And we can coordinate this with SSB voice too. Something we can
not do in the text data portions of the bands.

Although I did ask the FCC about the single tone MILSTD/FEDSTD/STANAG
modem use in the text data portions of the bands, they would have to
make changes to the rules to allow such use. My preference is to keep
the narrow modes in the text digital area, and rename this the narrow
areas and then allow us to use the wide modes in the voice/image areas.

But here is the rub. We can do that any time we want now ... right? All
you have to do is make it an image and you have no limits on the baud
rate, even 2400 baud ... right?

And I have asked this question many times on these groups. No one even
wants to try it? Why is that? Is it possible that you have tried it or
others have tried it with poor results? The professional contacts I have
in the business of emergency/military communication tell me that these
modes don't work all that well, even on dedicated channels. Something we
don't have in the amateur shared frequency bands.

When I asked the ARRL, Paul Rinaldo, W4RI, he felt that the reason we
don't use the single tone modems may be due to the need for increased
computing power to make it work. Either way, why is no one working on
this now? It does not add up.

Why do we need wider modes? The reality is that HF is a terribly
difficult place to get high speeds with weak signals. The wider modes
tend to work less well than the narrow modes in most cases. Even Pactor
3 drops to way under 1,000 Hz and only 2 tones when conditions get
really difficult. The wide 8FSK125 ALE mode at around 2000 Hz wide
compares very poorly with the narrow 8FSK50 mode at only 400 Hz when it
comes to sensitivity. It is very difficult to find 2000 Hz of clear
frequency to even operate such a mode and yet 400 Hz is much more useful
and ham friendly. 3000 Hz or more is even more than a communications
quality voice bandwidth and is a step backward in technological
achievement with shared bandwidth services such as we have with amateur
radio.

For those hams who are not aware, the ham who convinced the FCC (over
the objections by the ARRL) to allow image/FAX to be used in the text
data portions of the bands, which some have tried to lobby for more than
20 years, was Mark Miller, N5RFX.

Ask yourself why did the FCC go along with this reasonable idea at the
maximum 500 Hz bandwidth? Why not make it 1000 Hz or 2000 Hz, etc. The
answer has to be that they really expect the lower portions of the bands
to move to narrow bandwidths.

Take a look at the new IARU Region 2 Bandplan that was promulgated
primarily by ARRL leadership at the IARU conference. Note that there is
no wider bandwidth than 500 Hz in the 80 meter band below 3600. Same
below 7040, 14100, etc.