Hi Again, Steve,

I think that you are also supporting "protectionism" as I am, only you
don't think of it that way. It protects the users of incompatible modes
from reducing the use of the spectrum. There may be no technical way for
them to coexist unless you literally drive them off. Some may feel that
way, but I do not. And it was not until I really tried using CW when the
SSB operators encroached that I realized how bad it can get. The SSB
operators may have multiple notch filters that can remove tones, but
even that is not often satisfactory. CW can not cope well with SSB and
similar waveforms, even with the narrowest filters.

Now with digital modes, we see the use of either analog or digital SSTV
image transmissions interspersed with SSB voice. It may someday be
possible to merge DV with image since both need about the same signal
strength (steady +8 dB or so) in order to operate.well so they are
closely matched. They also sound the same and there is no practical way
to filter out multiple OFDM type carriers since they pretty much fill
the spectrum in their bandwidth.

The segregation of narrow and medium and wide modes (as per the new
Region 2 Bandplan) will help clarify things a bit if many hams adopt it.
The ARRL attempted to get the FCC to create a new rule that would make
bandplans a legal requirement, but the FCC chose not to accept this.
Theoretically, you could be cited for not following a bandplan and I
understand that this has come up from time to time.

Where I find the rules ridiculous is where you can operate analog or
digital voice and can operate image, but even though the signals may
sound identical, you can not send text. As you know, I have asked the
FCC to let us know what they interpret image and fax to be.

I have no problem with whatever the FCC interprets, which may surprise
you. None of this stuff is that important. What matters to me is that we
understand what we can and can not do, even if that causes extreme
reactions from proponents of ALE and other modes. It is true that when a
government official makes a determination on such matters, it does have
the force of law (contrary to what I have seen from other commenters).
But once you have this clearly established, you can then ask for
adjustments in the interpretation. I have done this professionally in my
career in Environmental Safety and Health. Sometimes you win and
sometimes you don't. But at least everyone then has the information.

If there is a specific rule holding us back, I would like to hear what
it might be. Almost no hams would support wide text data modes,on HF
certainly not those wider than what would be considered a communications
quality voice bandwidth. If you can not meet that standard, it is not
much of a technological achievement to just go wider and wider to make
something work better. The technological achievement is to use spectrum
conserving modes that enhance the radio art.

As you know, when conditions deteriorate there are fewer operators on
the bands. That is the time that wider modes might be more appropriate
to use. When conditions are good, there are a drastically increased
number of operators. Remember that we have a shared band, not a specific
channel with a specifically authorized bandwidth. Few of the wide modes
are all that effective when conditions become poor. Even Pactor three
drops to below 1000 Hz in width.

As far as an agenda, of course you have an agenda. It is focused on ALE,
and rightly so, if that is your special interest area. We all have one
or more of them. Mine is to promote technology and cooperation that
works for emergency communications. It can be digital or analog
depending upon which is a better fit for a given solution. I have
several other agendas such as promoting amateur radio as a leader in my
county AR club, provide many classes to bring new hams into amateur
radio, provide many test sessions over the years to make this happen,
etc., etc.

You stated that the MILSTD serial tone modem waveforms exceed both
symbol rate and bandwidth in the current digital sub bands. This may be
true of the symbol rate, but where do you see any restriction on
bandwidth? Currently, is there any real bandwidth restriction in Part
97? ARRL's argument was that by their petition for bandwidth, they would
eliminate wide bandwidth modes from developing.

Hopefully, in answer to the question of attached files and other types
of files being sent in the voice/image areas of the bands we will have
an answer from my query to the FCC.

The reason that I support a mixed voice/data concept in the voice area
is because it is very unlikely that we will ever be given voice modes in
the text digital area. The voice areas here in the U.S. are the largest
part of the bands now. We already can use analog and digital voice and
image any place we want in the voice portions of the bands athough a
number of hams seem to not be aware of this. Adding in some text is
really minimal. Especially if you are mixing the image/text. After all,
the SSTV folks do this now with headings on their "images."

As for the capability (or not) of the wide bandwidth single tone modems,
we don't know when it comes to amateur shared band use. You say they
work extremely well. Other professionals who I personally know and
discuss this with say that they leave a lot to be desired. The last
people to ask about this are the manufacturers. They are promoting their
equipment the best way they can to get you to buy it. I want real world
information from end users. Just like my contact with military
government use.

I do know from personal experience that the FAE 400 ARQ mode is about
the best mode that I have personally ever used on digital text. It has a
quasi duplex operation like Clover II, seems to work deeper into the
noise (but can not prove since it has been well over a decade that I
last used Clover II or Pactor) and is about the same bandwidth or a bit
less. It may not be able to operate at the higher speeds since it is non
adaptive, but we have developed soundcard modes that can operate at the
higher speeds. SCAMP could run at close to 1000 wpm with good
conditions, but it could not adapt downward. By combining some of the
these modes, we could get some impressive results.