Hi Don,

I agree that is not completely clear from reading the rules, but maybe
one could interpret them to mean that you can transmit a beacon if you
are the control operator.  The main point is that you definitely can not
do this if you operate automatically on the bands below 28 MHz.

I contacted ARRL several months ago and did receive a response from Paul
Rinaldo, W4RI, on some of these issues. At the time I was mostly
concerned about clarification on what text data refers to vs. image/fax
and whether or not we could consider documents (.doc, .xls, .pdf, etc.)
to be fax, that sort of thing. Also, the issues about baud rate in the
voice/image portions of the bands. I believe that I published his
response on the HFDEC yahoogroup, maybe on this group as well?. He had
some clear answers to some questions but on some he felt that the issues
were yet to be determined.

About that time, additional issues came up and as I sent an e-mail to
ARRL's Dan Henderson, N1ND, on 10/1/07, mentioning that I had contacted
Paul about some of the issues. He indicated he would defer the questions
to Paul and I waited about a month and contacted him to find out how
things were going and he indicated that he did not plan to do anything
further as he assumed somehow that Paul had already answered the
questions. It was a bit bizarre to say the least as I thought I
explained that only some of the questions had been dealt with, but he
had no further response.

I then asked this group to respond and make recommendations to my draft
questions I was planning to forward to the FCC. I believe that Andy,
K3UK, had any suggestions. Some hams publicly and privately appreciated
that someone was at least going to ask these questions. At least one
ham, was over the top with a personal attack but I guess that you have
to expect this behavior these days.  I took Andy's suggestions, and
modified the questions and sent them to the attention of Mr.
Hollingsworth, on 12/11/07. I have not heard anything back at this time.

I agree with you completely on this issue and I take issue with those
who do not want a response from the FCC. It is simply not reasonable for
so many hams to not clearly understand what a given rule does or does
not mean. We should all be pleased that someone is finally asking for
some assistance in interpreting some of these rules.

If the FCC does respond in a way that some feel is not a proper
interpretation, or they are opposed to the rule, they can then petition
the government for a change. That is the democratic process and it
should be strongly supported by hams who want to do the right thing.