The unattended terminology is mostly semantics since the effect of
allowing automatic operation does permit the station to operate without
a control operator present or even performing this duty from a remote base.

Although the FCC does not use the term semi-automatic, we hams often use
it as a shorthand term for having human to machine connections and with
the machine only being permitted to operate when queried by the human
control operator.

It is clearly covered under 97.22 Automatically controlled digital station.

(c) A station may be automatically controlled while transmitting a RTTY
or data emission on any other frequency authorized for such emission
types provided that:

(1) The station is responding to interrogation by a station under local
or remote control; and

(2) No transmission from the automatically controlled station occupies a
bandwidth of more than 500 Hz.

Otherwise, if the station is over 500 Hz, or if the station is operated
machine to machine, such as the old Winlink network, current NTS/D
network, packet networks, etc., (even if they were 500 Hz and under,
they must operate inside limited frequency segments on the HF bands.