> I have seen some multiipath, especially when I have tested PSK31 on VHF,
> but much of that was from aircraft. I am not sure how I can discern
> multipath when on HF. Is there any clue in the waterfall or do you go by
> the sound?
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U

You will see three kinds of multipath on VHF, which you can see on the
waterfall.

One is reflections from airplanes, which tends to look like a ghost signal
accelerating across the main signal. When it coincides with the main signal,
all copy will be momentarily lost, no matter how strong the signal.

The second correlates with wind conditions, and the ghost signal moves
slightly in and out of the main signal during wind gusts, especially when a
weather front is moving through.

The third is reflections from fixed objects, and the ghost signal tends to
stay a fixed distance away from the main signal.

PSK63 is less affected by multipath reflections than PSK31 is on VHF, and
PSK125 even less so. When cancellation does occur, if you are using ARQ,
that frame is just resent and the transfer is delayed by that much. Of
course, only ARQ is going to guarantee error-free copy. FEC only helps, but
does not insure no errors.

QRN seems to be the biggest problem on HF and QSB second. During a period of
thunderstorm activity, as we often have in South Carolina, and more
especially in Florida, PSK125 is greatly disturbed and PSK250 so much that
it is unusable, but PSK63 not nearly as much. All the decoders seem to have
this problem, and there may be a way to improve that cascaded loss of sync
in the faster modes, due to QRN, but we have not yet tackled this problem.
Fortunately, for our 100 mile emcomm uses, QRN and QSB are not problems on
VHF, and ARQ takes care of the multipath reflection problem.

73, Skip KH6TY

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

Check our other Yahoo Groups....

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional