Rick wrote:

  > I have seen some multipath, especially when I have tested PSK31 on
> VHF, but much of that was from aircraft. I am not sure how I can
> discern multipath when on HF. Is there any clue in the waterfall or
> do you go by the sound?

On HF I have noticed one of the consequences of multipath, selective
fading, only on rather wide signals, like pactor 3 or DRM. I have not
noticed it so far in narrower signals, which doesn't mean it isn't there
too. It shows up as a fast darker banding on the waterfall, that sweeps
across the signal bandwidth. I have noticed it using Spectran.

I have noticed something that may be multipath on some distinct double
clock tics on WWV that do not correspond with the leap seconds info. For
me, it is rare, random, not long lasting, and hard to discern in other
signals. Also used Spectran at almost maximum speed during an offset
frequency WWV recording on 10 MHz. It might be some momentarily
intensified long delayed signals from WWVH, I cannot tell for sure. In
any case, the delay is a few milliseconds, trailing not far behind the
second tics. If the ticks are 5 cycles of a 1 kHz sinewave, the delay
between the double ticks beginning, the moments when they showed up, may
have been some 8 to 10 milliseconds. Something peculiar in the waterfall
is that both 500 and 600 Hz tones were present, which are switched
alternately in WWV and WWVH emissions. I was certainly not looking for
those double ticks.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/sked

Check our other Yahoo Groups....

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional