John,

Our NBEMS for Linux now supports DominoEX-11, DominoEX-16, and DominoEX-22
with ARQ.

You might want to experiment with using DominoEx to combat flutter. However,
I suggest that yhou disable the AFC on fldigi to keep random noise from
dragging the receive frequency around. DominoEX is very tolerant to
mistuning, and seems to work well without AFC, even on 2m. In order to
compensate for the latency of DominoEx and MFSK16, we have added 9
additional <SOH> characters to the beginning of each transmission, which is
allowed under the ARQ specification, so DominoEx modes will only work under
ARQ with the NBEMS flarq program.

The comparisons for a 3.3K text file transfer on VHF are:

MFSK16: 724 sec
PSK63: 403 sec
DominoEx16: 378 sec
DominoEx22: 276 sec
PSK125: 207 sec
PSK250: 120 sec

Winlink average on HF (Pactor-3) for a 3.3K file: about 224 sec

For comparison, Patrick's numbers for his Domino (DF), which is probably
DominoEx-8, is -12 db for the lowest S/N. For PSK63, it is -7 dB. For PSK125
it is -5 dB. For MFSK16, it is -13.5 dB. So, the advantage in using DominoEx
will mostly be to counter flutter and mistuning. MFSK16 will still hold up
the best under deep QSB fades, but is slower and harder to tune.

You can download the NBEMS EMCpup ISO from this link:
http://www.w1hkj.com/emcpup.html . Just burn a bootable CD and try DominoEx
with flarq on a Windows system by booting with the CD and running it "live"
to compare, but you will need someone else also using EMCpup or NBEMS on
Linux to test with. Since you will probably be testing on HF, there is
probably someone on this list already set up to test with. In fact, I can do
it with you on HF.

We would be very interested in any results you come up with.

73, Skip
NBEMS Development Team