Hello Rud,

In asynchronous ARQ mode, in all cases, it is necessary to bit synchronize
the receiver as the receiver does not know when teh next frame is going to
be transmitted (reversely, in synchronous ARQ mode this is not necessary as
the RX knows exactly the time of the reception of the next frame).
For bit synchronization, it is necessary to send previously a sequence of
symbols (which solves this problem of VOX even if it was not done for
this...).

For example, here is an extract of the ARQ FAE protocol. 28 symbols to
synchronize can seem much but the S/N can be very low (down to -13 dB).

As you see in ARQ FAE in ALE400, there is a delay of 0.56 second before
transmitting any useful symbol.

73
Patrick

ARQ FAE synchronization sequence
 In 125 bauds

Before each FAE frame, it is transmitted 28 symbols, alternately on the
lowest frequency and then on the highest frequency, so for a duration of
about 0.224 second (28/125 s). This is aimed:

* to cover the necessary delay to switch the transceiver (128 ms maximum,
with a standard delay of about 40 ms),

* to permit the symbol synchronization just before the frame reception (96
ms).

- In 50 bauds

It is also transmitted 28 symbols, alternately on the lowest frequency and
then on the highest frequency, so for a duration of about 0.56 second (28/50
s). This is also aimed to:

* to cover the necessary delay to switch the transceiver (128 ms maximum,
with a standard delay of about 40 ms),

* to permit the symbol synchronization just before the frame reception (432
ms).