Bonnie,

While your question has been answered quite well by several of us, the
main thing to keep in mind is that if you are going to use amateur radio
communications, both stations must be operational and within range.

These kind of communication must be done with tactical phone for
immediacy and confirmation. If you are mobile and use VHF FM, you will
have more modest range than VHF SSB, but should be able to contact your
EOC or whoever is dispatching you for local support (such as shelters).
Even in our difficult terrain, in the Driftless Region of Wisconsin, we
can (mostly) work within the county. Some low areas can not even reach
the repeater but may get through (weakly) on SSB based on our test results.

If you are portable, you can quickly erect a small VHF gain antenna to
increase communication distance. Note the article in the December 2008
issue of QST. We have had to do this even with repeater use for public
service support of Adventure Racing.

We need to keep in mind that HF use is never a practical option for 24/7
operation. And almost no hams have mobile HF (OK, my wife does if she
puts on the Texas Bugcatcher, but she is a rare exception). HF SSB phone
can not work consistently once you are out of ground wave coverage which
can be only a few miles (5 to 15).

VHF works consistently better than HF, for shorter distances and can
even work well for longer distances too depending upon power levels and
antenna gain and height of stations.

When NVIS operation requires a lower frequency than you can operate,
(160 meters for example), HF totally fails for short and medium range
(typically from more than 10 to even over 200 miles), so it really is
not a 24/7 option like VHF. This is especially true at night when the
FoF2 can easily drop to only 1 Mhz. Even CW can be of limited use.

And remember that during high QRN, which can be common during emergency
weather situations, HF phone can be of limited value even if NVIS
operation is possible between two points.