On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 17:50:33 +0300
Omer Zak <w...@zak.co.il> wrote:

> אגיב בעברית, כי רשימת הדיוור הזו עובדת בעברית.
> לדיונים באנגלית יש linux...@cs.huji.ac.il

I'm going to reply in English, because I don't remember this list ever
being defined as "Hebrew only", and I believe we should all express
ourselves however we feel convenient. I'm assuming that for readers of
this list, English is as acceptable as Hebrew.

> היה גם מקרה של מוביל פרויקט שהתבטא נגד ישראל בתוקף תפקידו כמוביל
> הפרויקט
> (Clement Lefebrve, Linux Mint)

That is true. Then he apologized for it. Then the Mint project teamed
up with CompuLab, from Haifa, to create the "Mint Box". Please drop
this case.

> ובהקשר זה, אזכיר גם את Brenden Eich.
> הוא היה אחד מהאבות של פרויקט ה-Mozilla.
> הוא הועף מהפרויקט על רקע התנגדותו לנישואין בין בני אותו מין
> בקליפורניה, התנגדות שהיתה עלולה לפגוע אישית בחלק מעובדי חברת Mozilla
> שהוא היה המנכ"ל שלה.

AFAIK he was never "kicked from the project" -- he did lose his
position as CEO of Mozilla Corporation, not merely for "objecting to
same-sex marriage", but for having made many, publuc anti-gay comments
(he's a very devout Christian), to the point where many Mozilla
employees commented -- some publicly -- that they would not feel
comfortable to continue working under him. After less than two weeks,
of being appointed, he resigned.

> מכיוון שהוא גם תרם תרומה טכנית גדולה ל-JavaScript
> ול-Mozilla,
> הסיפור שלו טוב כמקרה מבחן לקביעת מדיניות שעלולה להרחיק מפתחים טובים
> מפרויקט בגלל סיבות שאינן ארכיטקטורה/קוד גרועים.

Again, wrong history. It wasn't the open-source project he was pushed
out of, it was the company.

> *** אבל צריך לשים לב לנקודה אחת ***

> הבעיה שאני רוצה לפתור בהצעה הנוכחית היא למנוע מקרים כמו
> Rod Vagg, Node.js
> Larry Garfield, Drupal
> שבהם מעיפים מפתח מפרויקט בגלל האשמות שמאשימים מאחורי גבו, בלי שתינתן
> לו הזכות להתעמת עם ההאשמות ולתת לו הזדמנות להפריך אותן בפומבי.

Rod Vagg was charged, but AFAICT the relevant groups ended up
"acquitting" him; also, by his own admission[1], he was actually guilty
of many of the charges.

Larry Garfield's case is much more murky. At a first glance, after
reading his post as well as community leader's posts, it seems he was
wronged. I do not have to make final judgement, so I don't.

At any case, I would highly discourage taking community advice from
ESR. Referring people to his "how to ask smart questions" is one of the
surest ways to drive them away from your community, and his "Sex Tips
for Geeks"[2], as much as I recall from looking at them many years ago,
are misogynistic and generally appalling.

> קללות ברשימות דיוור, שהיוו הטריגר להכנסת קוד התנהגות לפרויקט הלינוקס,
> הן פומביות ולכן אין איתן בעיה של התמודדות עם האשמות אנונימיות מאחורי
> הגב. אבל קוד ההתנהגות שהוכנס אינו מגן על אנשים מפני האשמות אנונימיות
> מאחורי הגב.

The Code of Conducts say very little about how complaints should
be handled, and rightly so. There are Enforcement Manuals for that,
although as far as I'm aware none of our conferences have officially
adopted any of those.

In the end, I believe you should trust the organizers and their CoC
committee to do the right thing. If you don't, it may be a sign that
you don't share enough of their values, and should indeed avoid their
events.

> *** ובלי קשר ישיר להנ"ל ***
>
> צריך לקבוע מדיניות ברורה מתי חייו הפרטיים של מפתח/מנהל (כמו פעילותו
> הפוליטית של איץ' נגד נישואין של בני אותו המין) אמורים לעניין את
> המשתתפים האחרים בפרויקט ומתי לא.

I disagree three times: (1) Public political activity is not really
"private life" (2) Eich, as noted above, was not sanctioned by any
open-source project (3) "A clear policy should be set" -- by who? for
who? who should be bound to it?

> נראה לי שבדרך כלל מקרה המבחן המתאים (לדיונים בשאלה זו) זה איך מתמודדים
> עם דעות אנטי-ישראליות של אחד מהמשתתפים בפרויקט כלפי משתתפים אחרים
> בפרויקט שהינם ישראלים.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

There was once a Django core developer who, on a project forum,
referred to his post about how we should all accept Christ as our
savior and how doing anything that the Church doesn't like has to be
very bad for you. I chose to get into a bit of an email discussion to
try to convince him that he's wrong. I know some of the Gay members of
core, and others which you might refer to as SJW, just decided to avoid
dealing with him anymore. To each their own.

Shai.

[1] https://medium.com/@rvagg/the-truth-about-rod-vagg-f063f6a53557
[2] http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/sextips/