On 21/08/2013 11:35, Karl Pielorz wrote:

--On 20 August 2013 18:02 +0100 Arthur Chance <free...@qeng-ho.org> wrote:

And that's just made me think of something else - I have a horrible
feeling that jexec will attach to the jail using whatever fib it's
running under, i.e. the fib from the host environment. Do you have (or
can you enable) ssh running in the jail? If so, log into the jail that
way, and see what

    sysctl net.my_fibnum

shows then, because you'll be running under the environment created by
/etc/rc.

Ok, one word: Bingo. That was it. I'll spare you the gory details of how
I cut myself off from the machine, managed to create a jail with no
access etc. etc.

But yes, that was it - in summary:

  jail -c -v  Does not actually *show* the fib being set, but will show
an error if the setfib call fails.

  jexec       Runs a process in the jail, using the prevailing fib - not
the jails fib, you can rectify this by using 'setfib X jexec jail tcsh'

I don't know if that last point should be considered a 'bug' or not...

Certainly the jexec problem is going to bite people again and again, so you should probably file a PR for it. As for the -v option, the man page says "Print a message on every operation", so it's down to what is or isn't regarded as an operation worth reporting.

Many thanks for your help!

No problem, it helps me understand jails better as well.

--
In the dungeons of Mordor, Sauron bred Orcs with LOLcats to create a
new race of servants. Called Uruk-Oh-Hai in the Black Speech, they

                _Lord of the Rings 2.0, the Web Edition_