Hi,
If I followed all this, I would start by checking the usb aspect itself.
likewise, just as an extra test, can you connect the synthesizer directly
to your box, as in is there a serial port working on the box running
freedos?
that too would help isolate the problem.
if it works fine without the usb factor, the issue is with usb itself.
hth,
Karen