At 11:07 AM 9/7/2011, James Collins wrote:
>I am wondering how to set up my device in virtualbox to work with
>freedos? I have looked in the settings for my guest os, freedos. I
>see under ports a section on serial ports, and also a section on
>USB. But I don't know which would relate to my external speech synthesizer.
>
>I did click on the little USB icon when freedos was running and my
>usb2serial device was listed but when I checked it a virtualbox
>window popped up saying something about an error.
>
>I think it referred to ioctl but I can get more info on the exact error.
>
>Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any info or help on getting my
>speech synthesizer working?

That is rather a problem with VirtualBox (or pretty much any VM host
software). VB has to properly translate the USB (or in this case
USB2serial) device into a true serial port within it's environment.
FreeDOS or any other client OS within that VM simply won't know
anything about that device in the first place.

Had similar issues while getting a parallel port printer in DOSBOX
working on Windows 7 Home Premium/64Bit. DOSBOX just would not
provide a proper "translation" from the Windows 7 parallel port
device to a plain DOS parallel port within DOSBox. Different host OS,
different VM but same general problem...

Ralf