Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 7, 2011, at 6:41 PM, "Ralf A. Quint" <free...@gmx.net> wrote:

> At 03:23 PM 9/7/2011, Eric Auer wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralf,
>>
>> my idea was that the serial hardware device to USB hardware
>> port conversion was done in hardware, so "either covered by
>> working hardware or hopeless"... Next step is getting from
>> real USB port to anything accessible inside a VM and I had
>> the idea that a typical VM shows USB to guests as USB, too.
>>
>> Of course that means more work for DOS then, but still ;-)
>> Probably depends on the VM whether it prefers pass-through
>> of raw USB or rather "made up" devices from host OS drivers.
>>
>> I think it is certainly worth a try. Of course with first
>> trying with DOS using real USB on real hardware then :-)
>
> But that doesn't look like a real option in this case, as he has a
> serial device (his external speech synthesizer) and an existing
> software (the utilities for said speech synthesizer) he is trying to run.
>
> As far as (Free)DOS is concerned, it can only provide assistance in
> form of DOS routines and info for the serial port that in turn rely
> on certain hardware info provided by the BIOS replacement of the VM.
> So it's up to the VM to handle this properly and it is my practical
> experience that most of them are likely to not properly provide that
> info, as most of them simply don't care about such "legacy" devices anymore...

One thing I noticed. When my serial2usb adaptor is connected. And I look in
/dev on my computer this is listed:

cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF

But when I try to open my vm, I get an error:

loctl failed for serial host device '/dev/cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF'
(VERR_DEV_IO_ERROR). The device will not work properly.

And under details-

Error ID:DrvHostSerialFail

And when I look in /dev cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF

Is gone?

And my settings for my vm are

Ports-->Serial Ports-->Port 1-->

Enable serial port, checked
Port mode- host device
Create pipe, unchecked
Port/file path: /dev/cu.usbserial-FTKVMAFF