Hallo Herr tsiegel--- via Freedos-user,

am Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2024 um 23:41 schrieben Sie:

> On 2/8/2024 3:34 PM, tom ehlert via Freedos-user wrote:

>> only problem would be that your typin speed is now limited to 1 haracter per
>> e.g. 500 milliseconds.
>> not very practical.

> Not at all.  A keyboard driver is going to know when a key is released, as
> well as when it's pressed.  Nothing preventing it from operating normally
> when it's released fast enough, and only shifting the character if it isn't
> released in the alotted time. It doesn't restrict typing speed in the least
> (with the exception of course of making the capital letters.).

rethinking this, you are right.

if the scancode is interpreted/send to the BIOS as soon as some other scancode
is detected
(either other key depressed or key-released) typing speed would not be limited.

only "do you agree Y/N" would be limited if you HOLD the Y key. probably not a
problem.

> I've never tested it, but if you have key repeat turned off, then it's likely
> the character doesn't appear until you release the key anyhow, so ... <shrug>

yes, this feature would require BIOS key repeat and replace it with "automatic
shift".
I don't see a big problem here as long as this is choosable.

big problem here is that noone will implement it.

even bigger one that DOS/WINDOWS/Linux/MacOS would be different. I SHOULD HAVE
WRITTEN THIS IN ALL CAPS.

Tom