On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 10:07, tom ehlert via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> there is no need for Microsoft to search its own archives.
> MSDOS 6.22 source leaked to the internet some 22 years ago, and a plenty of
> people have it.

Then MS would need to check this over, check it was correct and
without Trojans etc. That at a minimum means finding its own copies
and doing a file-by-file compare. That's effort and as we have
discussed this is something it's unwilling to spend.

> I don't understand how this would permit the "release under a permissive
> licence".

*If* the code was verified as unmodified MS code and _then_ *if* MS
wrent to the extra work of removing all 3rd party code or obtaining
clearance, it would then _and only then_ be able to relicence the
resulting code.

MS cannot relicense code it did not write.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com