In my opinion, it's very much within the remit of this list to share
anything that creates an environment that is not welcoming to new
contributors. It doesn't need to be proven every time, as far as I'm
concerned, that women are disproportionately affected, for a topic to be
germane to this list.

In this case, I consider it highly relevant information, considering that
someone in a position of trust in our community (chair of the UK board) was
found by English Wikipedia's highest authority:

* (unanimously) to have violated important policies meant to protect the
health of the community (failing to disclose information about his past
accounts that he was required to disclose)
* (by a slim majority) to have made "unacceptable personal attacks"
* (unanimously) to have made "ad hominem attacks to discredit others"
* to have "attempted to deceive the community" on more than one count
* was banned (indefinitely, with opportunity for appeal starting in 1 year)
from editing the encyclopedia

I am aware that this person has made a number of high quality contributions
to our site, and is well respected for much of his work, and do not
discount that in any way. But the fact that he would continue in a position
of trust, as chair of the Board of the UK Wikimedia chapter, in light of
these findings, is distressing to me. It seems to me that he, and the board
that is supporting him (I'm unclear whether it's the UK or WMF board) is
choosing to place his personal status above the interests of the movement,
and choosing to accept the consequences of a story like this, which in my
view will surely tend to discourage people from participating in the
Wikimedia movement.

I don't carry any ill will toward this person, or wish to deny his efforts
to continue to contribute to our projects. But it does distress me that he
would continue to carry a Wikimedia business card, and represent our
movement in a high-profile position of trust, in light of these findings.

And I'm glad to have information about something like this posted on a list
dedicated to the removal of barriers to participation.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]