On 8/2/2012 4:16 AM, Tom Morris wrote:

You seem to have omitted the bit about how he was subject to a relentless
campaign of vicious homophobic abuse.

Or, indeed, ArbCom's complete failure to understand the importance of how such abuse
and bullying occurs. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:SilkTork&diff=498427414&oldid=498418358

Given the numerous instance of female editors I've spoken to who have been the
subject of painful stalking incidents, and the ongoing risk to women and other
minority groups on-wiki, I'd suggest ArbCom's failure to understand the nature
of such harassment ought to be rather concerning...

This is not to excuse what Fae has done. Two wrongs don't make a right. But
let's not pretend that there's not another side to this sad tale.

Your link did not include examples of actual harassment, though I'm sure they exist. It also still is not clear to me if he ONLY post gay bondage photos. And if went beyond being educational and usable for articles to just being prurient.

Obviously, if every time he lashed out it was in response to harassment, that would be understandable - On the other hand, it also would show that wikipedia's ways of dealing with harassment were not too good.

Now in the case I cited where I got blocked my asking an untoward question came after I was harassed as an "antisemite" for a couple weeks for trying to uphold policy on an Israel-Palestine related article. (A couple of obvious males who actually used bigoted sounding language were ignored!) So I lashed out inappropriately for asking about an individual's sexual attitudes towards women (I also linked my question to a women's group on offsite wikia which I naively thought was part of Wikipedia, but that was only a minor reason for the block).

The important thing was that the initial block also was six months and the BrouHaHa was that I was unfairly harassed on the article leading to my losing it. After the protests, the block was reduced to a week.

After there was such a long thread about it at ANI, the individuals who had been harassing me largely DID stop using those kinds of attacks and stuck to policy issues in future debates on that and other articles. So I do think a good airing of harassment issues on WP:Wikiquette or WP:ANI with the relevant parties can help. Of course, blocking harassers until they stop would help too.

Anyway, always looking for double standards, I suspect that if I had reacted snottily to people every time I was harassed and hounded (more than a hundred death threats, FYI), I'd have been blocked for six months way before whatever it was that got User:Fae blocked. This of course probably related to the fact that he is a powerful male and (in the deep recesses of the minds of too many but *not* all males) I'm just some erzatz female... So to me that's the relevance to this list.

Frankly I don't feel like reading the whole case right now, but here it is and porn only mentioned once, bondage not at all; civility and other rules the issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration/Requests/Case/F%C3%A6

CM in DC