On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> Personally, I don't think it's worth having a discussion here about the
> merits of deleting these images. There's no chance in hell they are going
> to be deleted from Commons. What I'm more interested in is the locker-room
> nature of the discussions and how/if this can be addressed, as I think that
> is actually more likely to dissuade female contributors than the images
> themselves.

Totally reasonable, and I agree that would be a useful discussion. Not that
anybody needs my permission, but please feel free to disregard the parts of
my message that don't relate to this -- and sorry if it was an unwanted
distraction.

For the discussion you're suggesting, it might be worthwhile to review the
behavior-related policies and guidelines on Commons. It might be fruitful
to develop, seek consensus around, and begin enforcing one or more new
guidelines related to this stuff.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Commons_policies_and_guidelines
In my experience, I think it tends to be a small number of users who engage
in this sort of thing, and if the behavior can be clearly and
dispassionately described, it might be possible to chip away at the culture
that makes it seem acceptable.

A big project, but a worthy one.

Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]