-----Original Message-----
From: shimg...@gmail.com [mailto:shimg...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Andrew
Gray
Sent: Saturday, 26 July 2014 4:08 AM
To: kerry.raym...@gmail.com; Addressing gender equity and exploring ways to
increase the participation of women within Wikimedia projects.
Subject: Re: [Spam] Re: [Gendergap] Sexualized environment on Commons

Hi Kerry,

Sad as it is to be the bearer of dispiriting news...

A proposal more or less similar to this was made by the Board in 2011
(some kind of image filtering on a user-selected basis) -
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content

The debate about whether (and/or how) to implement it was pretty
vicious, pretty angry, and went on for the best part of a year. A
September 2011 community poll gave interestingly mixed results -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2011-09-05/News_a
nd_notes
and the development of any software was suspended pending further
discussion. In mid-2012, the Board then formally rescinded the
"develop a filter system" request -
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:_Personal_Image_Hiding_Featur
- and it has more or less been dead in the water since then.

There's been no significant attempt to revive it, but I think this is
in part because the wounds are still fresh - I think were it to be
reopened now you'd get much the same result, a lot of heat which
eventually stalls.

It's worth noting that a very small-scale version of this is in use
for some wikis - it's been pointed out that some sexual topics on
Arabic Wikipedia have a "click to expand" field which conceals an
image - but this is pretty rare and done on a page-by-page, not
image-by-image, basis; it also has no user-level customisability.

Andrew.

On 24 July 2014 02:51, Kerry Raymond <kerry.raym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that offensiveness is in the eye of the beholder. And while there
> may be all manner of very niche groups who find strange things
> offensiveness, maybe some people object to seeing refrigerators or reading
> about cakes, nonetheless we know that there are a lot of widespread
> categories of offensiveness that generate the bulk of discussions about
the
> inclusion of items on Wikipedia or Commons.
>

> What we could do is to have to some system of classification (like the
> movies) for articles, images, and/or categories indicating that they are
> potentially offensive for various reasons. Perhaps along similar lines to
> the "content advisories" in IMDB, e.g.
>

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295297/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg
>

> People could then put in their profiles that all classifications are
> acceptable or them or that these are the classifications they don't want
> see (e.g. Sex and Nudity, Gore and Violence, Profanity, etc - obviously
our
> classifications might not be identical to IMDB as we are dealing with
> different kinds of content but you get the idea). When that person
searches
> Wikipedia or Commons, then those articles, images and categories that they
> would find offensive are not returned. When a person reads an article
> containing an offensive-to-them categorised image, it is simply not
> displayed or some image saying "Suppressed at your request (Sex and
> Nudity)". We could possibly bundle such these finer classifications into
> common collections, e.g. Inappropriate for Children, Suitable for Muslims,
> or whatever, so for many people it's a simple tick-one-box.
>

> For anonymous users or users who have not explicitly set their
preferences,
> rendering of an article or image could first ask "This article/image has
> been tagged as potentially offensive for SuchAndSuch reason, click OK to
> confirm you want to view it". If they are a logged-in user, it could also
> offer a link to set their preferences for future use.
>

> I note that movies are often made with variants for different countries.
> Sometimes that's simply a matter of being dubbed into another language but
> it can also include the deletion (or replacement) of certain scenes or
> language that would be offensive in those countries. So it is not as if we
> are reinventing the wheel here, just customising it to Wikipedia.
>

> Kerry
>

> ________________________________

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Nude_portrayals_of_computer_tech
nology

> First, I agree with Ryan that in the (various) deletion discussions I've
> seen around this and similar topics, there is often a toxic level of
> childish and offensive comments. I think that's a significant problem, and
> don't know what can be done to improve it. Scolding people in those
> discussions often a backfires, and serves only to amplify the offensive
> commentary. But silence can imply tacit consent. How should one
participate
> in the discussion, promoting an outcome one believes in, without
> contributing to or enabling the toxic nature of the discourse? I think
I've
> [...]
> points:
>
> * We have a collection of more than 20 million images, intended to support
> wide diversity of educational projects. Among those 20 million files are a
> great many that would be offensive to some audience. (For instance, if I
> understand correctly, *all images portraying people* are offensive to at
> least some devout Muslims.)
> * Were these images originally intended to promote objectification of
women?
> To support insightful commentary on objectification of women? Something
> else? I can't see into the minds of their creators, but I *can* imagine
them
> being put to all kinds of uses, some of which would be worthwhile. The
> intent of the photographer and models, I've come to believe, is not
relevant
> to the decision. (apart from the basic issue of consent in the next bullet
> point:)
>
> * Unlike many images on Commons, I see no reason to doubt that these were
> produced by consenting adults, and intended for public distribution.
>
> If they are to be deleted, what is the principle under which we would
delete
> them? To me, that's the key question. If it's simply the fact that we as
> individuals find them offensive, I don't think that's sufficient. If it's
> out of a belief that they inherently cause more harm than good, I think
the
> reasons for that would need to be fleshed out before they could be
> persuasive.
>
> Art is often meant to be provocative, to challenge our assumptions and
> sensibilities, to prompt discussion. We host a lot of art on Commons. On
> what basis would we delete these, but keep other controversial works of
art?
> Of course it would be terrible to use these in, for instance, a Wikipedia
> article about HTML syntax. But overall, does it cause harm to simply have
> them exist in an image repository? My own conclusion with regard to this
> photo series is that the net value of maintaining a large and diverse
> collection of media, without endorsing its contents per se., outweighs
other
> considerations.
>

> (For anybody interested in the deletion process on Commons, the kinds of
> things that are deliberated, and the way the discussions go, you might be
> interested in my related blog post from a couple months ago:
> http://wikistrategies.net/wikimedia-commons-is-far-from-ethically-broken/
)

> -Pete
>
> [[User:Peteforsyth]]
>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
>
> If anyone ever needs a good example of the locker-room environment on
> Wikimedia Commons, I just came across this old deletion discussion:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Radio_butt
on_and_female_nude.jpg

> The last two keep votes are especially interesting. One need look no
farther
> than the current Main Page talk page for more of the same (search for
> "premature ejaculation").
>
> Kaldari

- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk