Hi Sandra,
I don't think there have been any in the past unless you count my
discussions with Els Kloek about the 1001 vrouwen project. She is not a
technical person and couldn't help me with the metadata but loves Wikipedia
and arranged for me to meet up with the Biografischportaal website manager
who could point me to their api. The 1001 vrouwen are all indexed through
that portal, and it includes lots more women for whom they haven't started
writing modern biographies yet.

I guess the closest thing in English is the CLARA database of the National
Museum of Women in the Arts, which is now indexed on Mix-n-Match thanks to
Magnus here:
http://tools.wmflabs.org/mix-n-match/

Anyone can match on that and use it to clean up Wikidata items. If you have
any other databases like that then let's get them on Mix-n-Match too! BTW,
Sebastiaan uploaded the video of me explaining last Friday how to match in
Mix-n-Match here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpyM1MlwW2U&feature=youtu.be

For the Wikidatans among you all, please also vote on a new property for
CLARA here:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Property_proposal/Authority_control#CLARA

Jane