When you work in a university, you frequently receive proposals that want
students (and sometimes academics) to be "free labour" for some worthy (or
not-so-worthy cause) without much regard to how the student benefits in
terms of their program of study. As much as I am personally committed to
Wikipedia and to feminism, if someone had approached me in my university
with such a proposal, I would have said that it might be reasonable to
expect a student in a writing or digital communications course to contribute
to Wikipedia (or Facebook or ...) as part of that course, but that I would
need to see a much stronger case for it in a course about feminism.

Would you regard it as reasonable if a driving instructor required their
students to contribute to Wikipedia articles on road safety as a condition
of receiving their driver's license? Or a doctor required Wikipedia articles
before providing treatment? Why is it any different for a student to be
required to write Wikipedia articles?

Offering students the *alternative* of writing for Wikipedia in lieu of a
traditional essay assignment would be a far more acceptable proposal. But I
would expect someone competent in Wikipedia would be available to provide
those students with the skills to do so (but I assume this is the
intention). And I would see nothing wrong with inviting students in a
feminist course to participate in a feminist edit-a-thon or similar activity
so long as it was clear it was independent to their studies (i.e. no
coercion).

Kerry