> as for the v1 :: COBOL analogy, that’s not a bad comparison. Basically,
users who haven’t bothered to upgrade in 10 years will have to end up
paying astronomical costs for consultants who can still work on ancient
software effectively to help modify their systems.

I have to take some exception to this. If the log4j 2.x configuration files
were compatible _enough_ with 1.x then taking this position would be
understandable. However, because they are not compatible in the way that
users require -- and the backwards compatibility is still marked as
'experimental', even -- it is not great to blame users "who haven't
bothered to upgrade in 10 years". Turning this around, why is backwards
compatibility still experimental after 10 years? I am involved with several
Apache projects where we would love to upgrade from log4j 1 to log4j 2, and
have been talking about it for _years_. However, we have not been able to
easily do so because we actually care about operational cross-version
compatibility for our users. On some of these projects we are still stuck
on log4j 1.

I also support continuing releasing for log4j 1.x, and would volunteer some
of my time to assist in the effort.