On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 8:42 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Guess there are 4 options:
>
> 1. resurrect log4j1 and let it die again
> 2. do a log4j1 release for the CVE under logging umbrella (as a subproject)
> - after all log4j1 belongs to logging as a subproject already (
> https://logging.apache.org/dormant.html)
> 3. the log4j1-log4j2 bridge (but agree this is not a solution and requires
> to do 2 to be useful technically since none of log4j1 users will want to
> import log4j2, at least cause it is not compatible with java version or due
> to the injected bytecode like module-info)
> 4. do a CVE fix release fork on github or any other hosting
>
> Personally I don't think 1 or 3 are real options, 4 is but not that nice
> indeed (due to the fact it would be yet another forks but also cause it
> requires some GAV change or build hack to be done properly) so from my
> window I would be tempted to push for 2 which sounds like a quick win for
> everyone.

Questions like this probably should be on one of the logging lists rather
than the incubator list.  The Incubator would not create a hostile fork
under any circumstance, including of an existing project/sub-project within
Apache.  In a situation like this it would be purely a call by the Logging
PMC, whether or not they want the Incubator to create the podling.