Just wondering, is it even fulfilling the criteria of incubation? Have
there been any similar cases before?

It was stated that there will be no effort on active development but focus
only on CVE fixes. This sounds to me as the project will start as only
fixing a few known CVEs and stop till other CVEs are discovered (there may
be huge difference between proactively discovering CVEs vs passively fixing
the reported CVEs by others), and never be attempted to become TLP.
Majority of status reports will be blank. That said, it doesn't seem that
sustainability is proven.