On 4/14/2024 8:45 PM, Oleander via gnucash-user wrote:
Hello,
is "Housing" a proper account name if I want to include only my apartment expenses like
Rent/Mortgage and Repairs&Maintenance? I'd like to record my Utilities expenses separately within
another account so that my "Housing" account adds up only the expenses related to the
building.

If not, what would you use?

Thanks,

a) The name you choose to give an account is whatever is meaningful to YOU. Just avoid any of the (few) reserved account names (like "asset", "expense", etc.)

b) You can either have "utilities" totally elsewhere OR you can consider those expense intimately related to housing and have that account a CHILD of "housing". Your CoA (chart of accounts) is logically of structure type TREE where accounts can be children of an account that is their parent. So you could have "rent" and "utilities" as children of "housing". That would allow you to see the separate totals of "utilities" and "rent" as well as the total for "housing" (I am referring to reports)

c) But say you were thinking of entering OTHER sorts of utility expenses under "utilities", say you bill for phone service << we used to think of a phone associated with a place but now many of us carry them in our pockets. You could have "utilities"  separate..

d) What you can;t do is have it both ways. Traditional double entry bookkeeping allows only one tree structure for the CoA. To get it different in different reports you would have to BOTH set up the CoA correctly AND select just certain accounts for the report.

Michael D Novack