On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 8:44 AM Michael or Penny Novack <
stepbystepf...@comcast.net> wrote:

> >> d) What you can;t do is have it both ways. Traditional double entry
> >> bookkeeping allows only one tree structure for the CoA. To get it
> >> different in different reports you would have to BOTH set up the CoA
> >> correctly AND select just certain accounts for the report.
> > Of course you can by running the report filtered for transactions with or
> > without tag(s). (It is an unfortunate term because most searches will
> find
> > the term used in the context of computer code rather than filtering
> > transactions for reports.)
>
> I don't think you are picturing what I meant by both ways.
>
> Say doing organizational reporting, and this organization (among its
> other activities) conducts several "events" every year. naturally the
> BoD will want to see accounting by event (what were the expenses and
> revenues for THIS event; how much did it cost us to put on the event or
> how much did we make, compare the separate event report with those of
> prior years, how about all events together (will come back to that).
>
> One of the expenses associated with each event would be for printing
> fliers, postage for mailing, etc. (things that can be considered
> "printing and postage") so under each event, such an account. BUT
> "printing and postage" is a line item on the 990/990EZ and also going to
> have to report the total for this activity sort WITHOUT printing and
> postage since that's a separate line item.
>
> So -- if the CoA structured correctly will be able to produce reports.
>
> a) For each event, P&L (select just the accounts of that event)
>
> b) The totals for all events NOT including the "printing and postage"
> expense (again, by selecting the accounts to include)
>
> c) Printing and postage total for the organization (again selecting all
> the "printing and postage" accounts -- note that some of these will be
> other than as an expense of some event)
>
> You aren't thinking of all the things the Treasurer of an org is going
> to be wanting from the books. ONE set of books, able to produce reports
> for various purposes, at different levels of detail. For example, the
> BoD might want to see the total for "independent contractors" but not
> how much paid to each let alone how much of what was paid to each was
> "compensation" and how much "reimbursement of expenses" (so whether a
> 1099-MISC will be needed to be filed to whom and if so, for how much)
>
> That's why I am stressing "get the CoA" right so you can get all that
> you need out of it. You can always reduce the amount of detail in
> reports, specialize reports, etc. later but only if captured in the
> first place. And keep in mind that you do not necessarily have to do all
> the reduction of detail, specialization, etc. INSIDE gnucash. You can
> also export reports and then do the rest of it using your favorite
> editor << that's how I was told to do it by a lawyer/accountant on one
> of the BODs -- he said that's how any of us accountants would do it --
> [...]

If the events are fixed, such as "Memorial Day Celebration" and
"Independence Celebration", you could make an expense category and then
have sub-categories for it. I assume that you can run P&L on one set  of
categories. Would that work? You'd have similar sub-categories. I'm pretty
sure you could get a breakdown for the events, but if you also want a total
(for example) "postage" from each category, I'm not sure how to do that,
especially if you want all the sub-categories summarized.  Perhaps
exporting to a spreadsheet and creating a pivot table? (or something along
those lines?)