https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2024-April/111588.html
Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> I don't think you are picturing what I meant by both ways.

Yes, it is very clear but given my experience with other financial software
I don't agree endlessly dividing the COAs into unknown future categories is
a useful approach.

Multidimensional accounting is a method of organizing financial data that
goes beyond the traditional chart of accounts. It involves using
dimensions, such as departments, locations, or projects, to categorize
transactions and provide more detailed and operationally relevant
reporting. This approach eliminates the need for complex account codes,
making the general ledger easier to use and reducing errors and delays.

The multidimensional chart of accounts (COA) is an account numbering system
that has multiple segments defined within an account structure. These
segments, or dimensions, enable tracking and reporting at a greater level
of detail. This type of COA is typically used by larger organizations that
need to track their financial transactions from more than one identifier
within the general ledger.

In summary, multidimensional accounting offers a flexible and powerful way
to track and report on your business, providing more detailed and
operationally relevant information than traditional accounting methods.

Note: AI-generated answer. Please verify critical facts.

Thank you to Vincent Dawans for a workable implementation in GnuCash
demonstrated at
https://github.com/dawansv/gnucash-custom-reports?tab=readme-ov-file#tag-prefix

https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2024-April/111596.html
Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> a) Accounts of type "expense" and accounts of type "income" are really the
> same type of temporary account of fundamental type equity... They really
> differ just in the sense of their normal balance, debit for expenses and
> credit for income. We get the top level types "income" and "expense" only
> so that we do NOT have to specify them for the P&L.

We have a different reading list but that is a useful concept to understand.

Regards