There are two cases that are very common and handled poorly. One
is an http  hyperlink to mail-archive.com as we've been discussing.
The other is a a mailto hyperlink. These are correctly obfuscated,
but end up as a broken link. Better to not have a link than a broken one.

http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-de...@lists.x.org/msg01612.html

I'm wary of preserving things that look like email addresses in other
ftp | rsync | http URLs. Mainly because these might be actual email
addresses. Aside from address harvesting spambot issues, they
can generate very vocal complaints by folks searching for their email
address in global search engines.

I'm happy to patch mhonarc, and impressed by all the energy on this
thread.

-Jeff