Hi Jeff, *,

Jeff Breidenbach schrieb:

> There are two cases that are very common and handled poorly. One
> is an http  hyperlink to mail-archive.com as we've been discussing.
> The other is a a mailto hyperlink. These are correctly obfuscated,
> but end up as a broken link. Better to not have a link than a broken
> one.

Agreed.

> http://www.mail-archive.com/xorg-de...@lists.x.org/msg01612.html

> I'm wary of preserving things that look like email addresses in other
> ftp | rsync | http URLs. Mainly because these might be actual email
> addresses.
> Aside from address harvesting spambot issues, they can generate very
> vocal complaints by folks searching for their email address in global
> search engines.

What case do You expect a private mailadress getting part of one of the
URLs pointed out? I don't have any idea where and how this can happen.

> I'm happy to patch mhonarc, and impressed by all the energy on this
> thread.

For me working links are a killer feature to use mail-archive.com as
reference in any kind of mail I write. It's less work to go to the
mailinglist's generic archive than to rework complaints for broken
links.

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich