http://www.math.uni-bremen.de/Math-Net/pages/news/archives/SchedulesOfEvents_de-old.html

> using a Mac and Lisp and Topos theory and whatever for automatically
> answering musical questions, like "what is the meter of a given sequence
> of tones".
>
> http://flp.cs.tu-berlin.de/~noll/

Thanks for the link!

Ah, from here I found one of the authors I was looking for:  Guerino
Mazzola.
If you look him up on google scholar, his entire book on topoi and music
has been scanned as a part of the google books project.  I've wanted to give
my wife a reason to learn a bit of algebra and category theory, and this
book may be the proper motivation.

Oops, my mistake:  chunks of the book are available this way.  Random
segments of 20-30 pages in length are missing all throughout the text.  A
clever way to make someone want to buy the book!